Programming with Ruby
Live Instructor-Led Classroom Training
This 3-day hands-on workshop will provide the attendee with the knowledge and skills to begin using Ruby for everyday programming tasks using the growing number of install-provided classes, modules, and methods. While Ruby is mostly used by its converts to create web sites and web services, Ruby can be used as an all purpose programming language for anything that C++, C#, Java, Perl, and Python can do, with the possible exception of creating operating system primitives. This workshop will concentrate on the use of Ruby in creating, deploying and maintaining web sites and services as the vehicle in learning the necessary Ruby skills. Attendees will be able to take the knowledge and capabilities learned during this workshop and exploit them to use Ruby in just about any programming environment.
This workshop provides the attendees with everything they will need to begin using and benefitting from the Ruby language. In class examples, exercises and projects will further the attendees understanding of the Ruby environment which is fully "open-sourced" so the components of Ruby are freely available to anyone with an Internet connection. Participants will complete an in-class project that will expand their Ruby programming knowledge and skills development.
Who Should Attend
Web developers, programmers, and other web personnel, current users of C++, Java, C#, and those with web-related scripting languages will all benefit.
- Understand what the Ruby language is all about, including syntax and conventions.
- Learn the basics of Object-Oriented programming principles and techniques.
- Experience the ease with which Ruby is installed, invoked and utilized to accomplish tasks.
- Learn the basic Ruby syntax and vocabulary through hands-on examples and exercises.
- Examine the standard Ruby objects: numbers, strings, ranges, and regular expressions.
- Learn how Ruby objects implement their methods in a clear, logical, and consistent syntax.
- Understand the concept of Ruby objects, error handling, and basic input/output activities.
- Learn the Ruby constructs of containers, blocks, and iterators.
- Learning the "Ruby Way" concepts to assist programmers in conforming to Ruby conventions.
- Develop a knowledge of Ruby methods, method invocation, and parameterization.
- Learn how to maintain and document a Ruby programming environment via RubyGems and RDoc.
A leader in live technical training since 1978
For many years New Instruction, LLC had been known as an innovative provider of training, consulting and software development services, and clients have often asked us to share our software quality methodologies with them. Those requests led to the development of our longest running workshop, "Testing and Quality Assurance Techniques", now in it's 11th edition.